Caledon, Ontario, incorporated as a town in 1974, population 59 460 (2011c), 57 050 (2006c). The Town of Caledon is located 15 km northwest of Toronto. It was created in 1974 from the townships of Caledon and Albion, part of Chinguacousy, and the villages of Bolton and Caledon East. Caledon East was first named Tarbox Corners after a Loyalist family, then Munsie's Corners after an early postmaster. Its present name denotes its location in the township of Caledon, and it is now the administrative centre for the town of Caledon. Bolton was named for James Bolton, an early settler. It is the largest urban centre of the town with over one third of the population. Caledon is mainly rural in nature with most residents being employed in the service sector. It became a POLICE VILLAGE in 1913 and a village in 1957. The area is noted for the scenic beauty around the upper reaches of the Credit and Humber rivers.