Grange, The

 Grange, The Throughout its history this elegant brick building, constructed about 1817 on a 40 ha property stretching from Queen to Bloor streets, has been linked to the social, intellectual and political life of Toronto. Built for D'Arcy Boulton, Jr, it subsequently became home to Goldwin SMITH. Acquired in 1911 by the Art Museum of Toronto (now ART GALLERY OF ONTARIO), the building was restored to its appearance of the years 1835-40. The composition of its facade, with a slightly projecting section topped by a pediment, shows the influence of 18th-century British classical architecture as it was expressed in several grand colonial homes in the early 19th century.