In 1900 the university became a teaching institution by an act of the provincial legislature. Thereafter, other colleges also received affiliated status: the Manitoba College of Pharmacy (1902); Manitoba Agricultural College (1906); St Paul's College (Roman Catholic) and Brandon College (1938).
Cape Breton University, SYDNEY, NS, was first established as the University College of Cape Breton (UCCB) in 1974, by the amalgamation of the Sydney campus (Xavier Junior College) of ST FRANCIS XAVIER UNIVERSITY (established 1951) with the Nova Scotia Eastern Institute of Technology (founded 1968).
Although WWII threatened enrolment, the demand for trained scientific personnel in industry and the armed forces prompted feverish activity in the university's laboratories. The war also led to the recruitment of the chemistry department's H.G. THODE for crucial wartime nuclear studies.